Routine Dental Exams by a Dentist in Redmond, WA
It is recommended to have a cleaning and exam every 6 months. Regular dental exams are a critical part of preventative dentistry. Preventative dentistry is the idea of finding problems when they are small or even better, taking steps to keep them from starting at all. Letting issues go untreated can not only lead to pain, but usually results in increased costs and more time in treatment.
It’s not just cavities we are looking for. Depending on the type of appointment, we are looking for several different types of problems and oral diseases.
- Gingivitis and periodontitis problems are evaluated during dental cleanings. Studies have shown that up to 75% of the adult population has one of these diseases.
- Oral cancer is another area we evaluate. The NIH reports that approximately 37,000 new oral cancer cases in the U.S. are reported each year.
- X-rays and visual exams can uncover many other oral diseases.
- Eroded teeth can indicate reflux problems.
- Cracks in teeth that could lead to pain or other problems.