Fine Dental Implant Treatment in Redmond, Washington
Dental implants are a great way to replace missing teeth or stabilize a loose denture. They can be broken down into two different groups; the first I’m going to call traditional implants and the other, mini implants.
Traditional (Regular) Dental Implants
Traditional implants have been around since the late 70s and their success rate is very high. The most popular way to replace a missing tooth involves three parts; the implant, the abutment, and the crown. The implant is the part that is surgically placed in the bone and usually requires several months of healing before the crown can be attached to it. The abutment is screwed into the implant and the crown is either cemented or screwed to the abutment. Traditional implants may also be used to help hold dentures in place using a ball and gasket configuration.
Mini Dental Implants
Mini implants look similar to a wood screw. While some dentists place crowns on this type of implant, they are mostly used for denture stabilization. The advantages of mini implants are that they cost less than traditional implants and they don’t require healing time before use.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Benefits of implants include:
- It is a very comfortable procedure. Patients report little to no pain during or after the procedure.
- This may seem obvious, but implants don’t get cavities.
- Their success rate is very high.
- It is easier to clean and floss around them compared to a bridge.
- They do not require drilling or altering the surrounding teeth like a bridge.